[eeps] : An EEP to allow optional leading semicolons in 'case' &c

Fredrik Svahn fredrik.svahn@REDACTED
Thu Feb 19 21:25:50 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Raimo Niskanen
<raimo+eeps@REDACTED<raimo%2Beeps@REDACTED>
> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 08:32:18PM +0100, Fredrik Svahn wrote:
> > Would it be possible to extend it with optional trailing semicolons? This
> > seems to be a rather common request in the mailing lists.
>
> Richard A. O'Keefe made a case against it here:
> http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2008-August/037161.html

I am reading the semicolon in the case expression more or less as an "or"
separator/operator as explained by Richard in another post (
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2007-September/029271.html)

In other words, I am reading a case statement as

case Expression of
   Clause1 or
   Clause2 or
   Clause3
end

This means that to me the proposal more or less suggests adding an empty
clause to make sense:

case Expression of
   "Empty clause" or Clause1
   or Clause2
   or Clause3
end

With this reading it would seem equally logical to allow:

case Expression of
   Clause1 or
   Clause2 or
   Clause3 or "Empty clause"
end

Please help me understand.

Also, the EEP needs to be extended to cover the emacs erlang mode provided
with the OTP distribution. The indentation is horrible both with leading and
trailing semicolons.

BR /Fredrik