[eeps] Request for comments on EEP-25 "Unnesting cases"

Abhay Kumar abhay@REDACTED
Fri Dec 19 19:15:36 CET 2008

If the goal is to provide a fall-through behavior that's also easy to
read, then it would make sense to look at some of the other languages
besides Algol 86: C, C++, Java, PHP, ... (default), Ruby (else). I
like the idea of a different reserved word (not 'or') being used to
signify another branching path.

consider:

'case' Expression 'of'
	Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression
    {';' Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression}...
    {';' 'else' 'case' Expression 'of'
		Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression
	   {';' Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression}...}...
'end'

or:

'case' Expression 'of'
	Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression
    {';' Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression}...
    {';' 'default' 'case' Expression 'of'
		Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression
	   {';' Pattern ['when' Guard] '->' Expression}...}...
'end'

I personally like 'else' but that might be my Ruby bias. 'default'
never makes semantic sense to me when using C based languages but I
just accepted it as it was. The best word is really 'otherwise' but
that's too long. 'els' is nice for spacing concerns.

I wonder if the parser should support two 'end' statements as i
expect that it will be one of the most common mistakes that someone
will make. Also, will the 'or' 'else' also support a fall-through
return for the block?

Cheers,

Abhay