Building Erlang Projects Offline

Oliver Korpilla oliver.korpilla@REDACTED
Mon Feb 21 15:32:47 CET 2022

For our mixed Erlang/elixir environment we also have an offline
requirement. Because our continuous integration should not simply stall
because some server anywhere in the world we have no influence on dies.

Initially we mirrored the project releases we were using on internal
servers but that was shelved.

Right now we use fixed revisions of all our dependencies, including the
aforementioned binary rebar3 off of AWS to build our Erlang
dependencies, and we configure mix accordingly to use all dependencies
from local.

We're also supplying a fixed version of elixir's package manager hex by
supplying a pre-made home directory for build purposes.

Frankly, this whole "package management by default" is a real hassle if
you want to go offline. The hoops I had to jump through so that nothing
gets downloaded from the internet were more effort than we ever anticipated.

Oliver