[Erlang Forums] [Erlang/OTP Proposals/Proposals: RFC] Re-visiting EEP-0055

Austin Ziegler halostatue@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 19:07:21 CEST 2022

No, Stansilav, I’m an engineer. I’ve shipped software in ~35 different
languages, which means that I aim to get ship done.

If the only thing you can take away from my messages here is that I’m a
"fanboy", then it is not my judgement in question.

I will reiterate that this EEP was filed by someone who primarily writes in
Erlang and wishes to see it in Erlang because they believe it would be
beneficial in one of several different ways.

The main objections that I have seen over the last two years on this have
boiled down to:

- It makes Erlang look like Elixir
- It doesn’t add enough value
- It’s a new sigil, and new sigils are by definition bad

The first position, which is essentially what I have seen from you and
several others, can be disregarded as emotional hyperbole. The second and
third positions are worth discussing, but the level of emotion in the
thread have resulted in little productive discussion on them.

The first and third positions have ultimately precluded substantial
discussion on the second and have discouraged possible explorations to see
if the second position is, in fact, true. As I understand it, the Erlang
compiler has changed pretty substantially in OTP23, OTP24, and OTP25
(particularly with the introduction of the JIT in OTP24), which means that
the introduction of a new sigil *might* permit the compiler to emit better
(I’m being purposely vague here) code.

The OTP implementation team thinks that it’s interesting and while they may
not pick it up, they might. If they do, I hope that they look at Loïc’s
suggestion, because I *am* of the opinion that adding a sigil should be a
rare event, but adding a sigil that allows for greater future extensibility
just *might* be worth it, even at the cost of a little bit of verbosity.

In the end, you’re probably not going to listen and dismiss what I’ve said
as fanboyism, but that doesn’t actually affect me.

-a