[Erlang Forums] [Erlang/OTP Proposals/Proposals: RFC] Re-visiting EEP-0055

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 17:18:54 CEST 2022

Because it allows the code to be more explicit in a way that tools can
benefit from.

I do not personally think the ^match or the pin ^ is terribly useful,
but I think annotations in general very well COULD be. Note that I
assume that any additions of annotations to the language would be done
as an experimental feature first, which the Erlang compiler now should
be able to do better.

The Erlang language has had many experiments in the past, the most
infamous of which is tuple calls and its companion parameterized
modules. Them being added to the language as experimental does not mean
the feature is going to stay forever. It has to show proof in practice
that it is worthwhile.

About my ^remote example, we probably would have ^remote set when
matching the Pid originally, not in the send call, though:

#state{pid = ^remote Pid} = State,
Pid ! Msg

One could imagine enabling additional checks on this annotation, such as
validating that Pid is indeed a remote pid before sending messages to
this process. Coupled with a check that any other sends are local-only
and you end up with a project where it is easy to identify when messages
are sent over the distribution, which is HUGE for some projects.

This is similar to what the pin ^ operator is doing, except in a
different context. And that's why I would like to see a more general EEP
for annotations. I have no strong opinions on the syntax it should use.

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu