[ANN] Khepri 0.1.0 - A tree-like replicated on-disk database library

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron@REDACTED
Fri Nov 5 10:57:26 CET 2021

Hi!

On behalf of the RabbitMQ team, I'm proud to announce the Khepri
database library (https://github.com/rabbitmq/khepri)!

Release 0.1.0 is available on;
     * GitHub (https://github.com/rabbitmq/khepri/releases/tag/v0.1.0)
     * Hex.pm (https://hex.pm/packages/khepri)

Khepri is a tree-like replicated on-disk database library for Erlang and
Elixir. This is a library we plan to use inside RabbitMQ as a
replacement for Mnesia. Indeed, we want to leverage Ra[1], our
implementation of the Raft consensus algorithm, to have a uniform
behavior, especially w.r.t. network partitions, across all types of data
managed by RabbitMQ.

In Khepri, data are organized as nodes in a tree. All tree nodes may
contain data, not only the leaves. Here is a quick example:

     %% Store "150" under /stock/wood/oak.
     khepri:insert([stock, wood, oak], 150),

     %% The tree now looks like:
     %% .
     %% `-- stock
     %%     `-- wood
     %%         `-- oak = 150

     %% Get what is stored under /stock/wood/oak.
     Ret = khepri:get([stock, wood, oak]),
     {ok, #{[stock, wood, oak] := #{data := Units}}} = Ret,

     %% Check /stock/wood/oak exists.
     true = khepri:exists([stock, wood, oak]),

     %% Delete /stock/wood/oak.
     khepri:delete([stock, wood, oak]).

Most of the concepts and a part of the API are described in the
documentation (https://rabbitmq.github.io/khepri/). Note that the
documentation is also far from complete.

The implementation is very alpha at this stage. The internal design
should not change drastically now but the API and ABI might.

I would love Khepri to be as easy to use and intuitive as possible.
That's why I'm reaching out to the community! If anyone is interested,
could you please take a look at the documentation and/or the code and
share your comments?

Thank you very much!

[1] https://github.com/rabbitmq/ra

--