Long gen_server init question (not about order of messages :)

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Tue May 18 10:10:31 CEST 2021

Assumptions:

- The server is a singleton (within the node).
- While the server is initializing, a caller should get 'not_ready'.
It should not block.

I can see two ways to do this, both involving an extra process:

1. The proxy starts up the server, passing self(). When the server is
ready, it notifies the proxy. If the proxy receives a request while
the server's not ready, it replies with 'not_ready'. If the server's
ready, the proxy passes the request on.
2. The server starts in 'not_ready' mode, and starts a worker. The
worker does the initialization, and when it's done, it sends the
resulting state to the server. From that point, the server can reply
to requests.

If you want to do this without an extra process:

- The server starts. It's initially unregistered. Any calls to the
server look up the registration. If it's not registered, the call
returns 'not_ready'. When it's ready, the server registers itself,
meaning that calls can find the pid and make the call.

We use a variant of this in production.