1-to-1 connections & possibly hidden nodes

Stanislav Ledenev s.ledenev@REDACTED
Tue Jul 13 06:59:21 CEST 2021

As I understand, cookies are for (simple) authentication purposes.
Nodes with different cookies won't be able to interact with each other but
connection attempt would be made with each call to a node.

Another approach that I recall working is one that is cookie-based. Each
> cookie you set represents cluster membership, so nodes that share a cookie
> will connect to each other.
>
> If you create another node that has a distinct cookie, it won't connect to
> anything else. If I recall properly, you can however call
> erlang:set_cookie(OtherNode, Cookie) to make a single caller able to use a
> distinct cookie to talk to OtherNode, meaning it will connect to it, but
> won't be able to transitively forward the connection unless the peer also
> shares that cookie.
>
> This lets you use non-hidden nodes that are parts of clusters but still
> have them able to privately talk to special nodes by using one-off cookies
> that act as a way to wall off connection propagation

Here is my _suggestion_: I think "-hidden_node" is about publishing
information
about a node and "-connect_all " is about a process of establishing
connection when node is up.

What is the advantage over using a hidden node?