multicast join problems (source specific)

Mark Geib mark.geib.44@REDACTED
Thu Jan 21 19:11:55 CET 2021

John,

To confirm that the OS may be the source of this problem I wrote a small python script, based on some examples, and then did the SSM joint to the same two multicasts as I am doing in Erlang. I am running on the same host in both cases.

The python script works as expected, each instance receives only the datagrams from the specified host. Of course I ran two different instances of the script. So it appears that the OS, Linux in this case, does support SSM properly. For completeness here is a snippet of the python.

  opts, args = getopt.getopt(sys.argv[2:], 'g:i:s:p:')
  opts = dict(opts)
  opts.setdefault('-i', '0.0.0.0')

  imr = (socket.inet_pton(socket.AF_INET, opts['-g']) +
         socket.inet_pton(socket.AF_INET, opts['-i']) +
         socket.inet_pton(socket.AF_INET, opts['-s']))

  s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM, socket.IPPROTO_UDP)
  s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_IP, socket.IP_ADD_SOURCE_MEMBERSHIP, imr)
  s.bind((opts['-g'], int(opts['-p'])))
  print 'READY.'
  while True:
    print repr(s.recvfrom(4096))