New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

Karl Nilsson kjnilsson@REDACTED
Fri Jan 15 17:20:23 CET 2021

Pinning would make use of already bound values a lot more explicit - how
would this not make the language better? This isn't just a thoughtless copy
of an Elixir feature. This is something that addresses a
real shortcoming/complication/source of bugs in the erlang language and it
just happens to borrow the syntax from a feature in Elixir. I too prefer
languages to be conservative and not just absorb features from any other
languages that happen to be popular but this isn't that. If the compiler
can tell me I may not have done something I intended then I want it to if
at all possible.

--
*Karl Nilsson*