New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Thu Jan 14 14:13:47 CET 2021

The way I planned it is:
  1. Even from the start, pinning will always be allowed, without requiring
any flag to opt in. This does not tell you about existing uses of
already-bound variables, but you can start using pinning right away for
readability and for avoiding bugs when refactoring. The compiler will
always tell you if a pinned variable doesn't exist, so you don't
accidentally accept any value in that position.
  2. You can enable warnings at your own pace in order to start cleaning up
your code.
  3. In a following major release, the warnings will be on by default, but
you can disable them to compile old code.
  4. In a distant future, it might become an error to not use ^ to mark
already-bound variables.

        /Richard