Erlang forums (was Re: PING TEST)

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Sun Dec 26 13:30:09 CET 2021

On 2021/12/19 9:02, Jeff Schultz wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 04:02, Igor Clark wrote:
>> I agree wholeheartedly. Thank you for putting it so carefully and
>> insightfully, Yao.
>
> I also agree.
>
> On an internet mailinglist, I can listen.
> On an internet forum, I am property.

At least you grok the motivation behind this sort of move.

A central point I have to drive into my geopol and intel students over
and over is that "Capacity drives intent". Even if the original intent
was to make a more "modern" single place to discuss Erlang, once that
place becomes The One True Community the exclusionary capacity enabled
by it will eventually change the intent of those running it. (In the end
it will only make the Erlang community lore harder to find in the noise
-- but whatever, no online platform is forever unless you do it yourself.)

I've just had to make my own little island of misfits -- mostly new
Erlangers who want to solve problems and really don't care about
anything else, least of all feels politics and other regulatory nonsense
that people want to inject into projects and communities by rudely
shoving their CoC into it. I don't really see a way around going
independent to avoid the worsening social cancer.

I'll be on the ML as long as it is around and might occasionally check
the forums if I'm super bored, but I'm pretty much seeing this as the
end of the graybeard era -- it will definitely be a case of "nobody
realized what they had until it was gone".

I have absolutely benefited an unfair amount from having this mailing
list as a resource for the last several years. Thanks to all for the
lessons and the laughs. Being proven wrong on the ML has always been one
of those magical experiences where I could directly map blows to my ego
to immediately useful lessons learned -- really fantastic stuff.

A late Merry Christmas to you all! Weee!
-Craig