Erlang forums (was Re: PING TEST)

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey@REDACTED
Tue Dec 21 06:05:18 CET 2021

Richard,

    You can see from my earlier messages and the messages of everyone who
has shared concerns expressing both pro-forum and concerns about the forum
sentiments that there is certainly good will and trust in motives and
shared values on both sides. That was certainly the spirit of the messages
I posted to the forum and list maintainers when asking for reasons why this
change was being forced and what sort of thing would result in such changes
being reconsidered. Unfortunately such messages have not been met with
replies in the same spirit. I'm especially concerned about Aston's
concerns were not only dismissed out of hand but people's motives for even
expressing them were questioned and personal criticisms leveled against
them. That, even more than the functionality of the forum vs. mailing list,
causes me great concern. When this fact was pointed out to Aston his
response was to double down on the same tactics. Note that no one
responsible for the list or forum has once provided substantive responses
to the polite and legitimate concerns of members of this list. I believe
this goes entirely against the traditions of the Erlang/OTP community
on this mailing list. This email list has been the hallmark of
professionalism and a merit-based community for years. It is difficult to
come to any other conclusion that those who are looking to abandon it have
also abandoned these values in their methods.

    I absolutely join you in asking that this community be involved in
evaluating options and working together with the spirit of good will on all
sides and trust that everyone is ultimately working towards the solution
that will provide the best support for Erlang/OTP. It is reassuring that I
am not the only one who recognizes the importance and value of that trust.

   best regards,

 -- Ben Scherrey