Erlang forums (was Re: PING TEST)

Richard O'Keefe raoknz@REDACTED
Fri Dec 17 11:46:38 CET 2021

I'm not speaking for anyone else,
but I *did* try the forum when this thread came along,
and strongly disliked it.
Not the people who set it up or run it, obviously,
It was the "user experience".
I should note that while I have been registered with StackOverflow
for years, I *never* turn to it for anything unless or until it
turns up in a web search.
Fortunately, mailing list archives also turn up in web searches,
and for my interests, are usually more helpful.

I would hope and expect that a forum would be indexed on the
*content* of postings, not (or not only) on titles.  I used to
co-teach a graduate-level Information Retrieval course, and
one of the things we taught was the relative uselessness of
titles.  (Here in my hand is a book on 'Quantum Computation'.
Should I file it under Computers, or Physics?  Or maybe, just
maybe, under Cryptography?  Here's one on "Earth Crust Slippage".
Surely that goes under Geology?  Nope: Crackpotism.)  Having a
state-of-the-art (e.g., JASS) open source search engine as a
primary navigation tool is essential for a forum, because any
other organisation scheme is CERTAIN to be ineffective or worse
for some users.  (Me, as it happens.)