Extra Byte in TCP Stream

Justin Wood me@REDACTED
Sun Aug 29 02:29:28 CEST 2021

Hello List!

I am in the process of building out an encoder/decoder for the RTMP
protocol. I am testing my application with two clients. OBS[0] (this is
considered the best client software to use for live streaming) and
rtmpdump[1] (this is considered the best way to test your server
implementation).

My problem is that when using OBS, everything works as expected (or
maybe I just haven't noticed it yet). When I use rtmpdump, I am getting
an extra byte (195 or C3 in hex) placed in my TCP stream. Normally I
would blame the implentation, but I am not seeing this byte when viewing
traffic within wireshark. I have also tested this this on two machines.
On both machines the extra byte is the same but the placement of it
varies depending on which machine I am using but is always in the same
place. Through the help of someone in IRC, it LOOKS like this is
happening at a packet boundary, but I am not overly knowledgeable about
this, so that may not be the case.

I am using gen_tcp directly and am inspecting the data before it gets
placed into my application and I am seeing this extra byte. So I am not
somehow adding it myself.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I may be able to go about
diagnosing this, I would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

[0] - https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio
[1] - https://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/