Long string to short ID

Michael P. empro2@REDACTED
Tue Aug 17 16:41:37 CEST 2021

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 15:32:56 -0400
"Lloyd R. Prentice" <lloyd@REDACTED> wrote:

> You and others have given me much to consider and I’m vastly grateful.

I am still failing to see how others seem to have been able to understand
your use-case. That makes me worry about what else I could fail to see.

I fail in associating "human-readable" with UUIDs.
I associate "reading" with 'acquiring information':
so I would not call youtube VIDs readable, but
spellable, legible (as long as not noted down by hand).

To me "reading" base64 codes sounds like trying
to compete with recitation of Vogon poetry.

I am able to demote "readable" to "spellable" or
"pronounceable", but that was thwarted by speak of
deriving from the title, and by the premise of
the subject 'text -> ID'.

I hate to steal people's time,
I am aware that this all is very #erlounge-y,
but I need to finish this out of my mind:
a) Why go beyond IDs like `32#1, 32#2, ...`?
b) Is this about automated derivation of "alternative titles"?

~M

P. S.
I meant `list_to_existing_atom`, not "...known_atom".
That's how fluent I am in Erlang ... :-(

--

Curiosity killed the cat --
by simply using up its time.