Why do some people shun `if`?

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Mon Aug 16 09:39:21 CEST 2021

If it is possible to use an "if" expression, it can result in better
source code due to utilizing only guard expressions.  It is possible you
may need to create an extra variable to use an "if" expression but that
can help source code be more descriptive.  A "case" expression has more
complex functionality by providing matching with guard expressions and
it can result in more complex beam source code for the equivalent of an
"if" expression (though it is likely that the compiler optimizations try
to hide that when possible).

Why prefer guard expressions only?  Guard expressions are the only pure
expressions, i.e., no side-effects (if you assume node() is returning a
constant) so they help to completely isolate state, making the source
code easier to understand, use and test.  It is common for people to
avoid "if" expressions because they don't feel comfortable with them,
but it is best to use them as much as possible.