Are NIF resources meant to be destroyed immediately on GC?

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Wed Nov 25 11:35:43 CET 2020

I agree. My use case for this was building a nif for the oracle oci bindings.

In the happy path users should call the provided db_close function which would flush outstanding transactions and close everything down in the dirty nif.

The problematic case is where the user's process holding the connection crashes. In that case we need the finaliser as the "secondary" resource reclamation path. If that path cannot safely close the db handle for fear of screwing up the emulator it's a problem.

The solution today is to have an interim process to fault isolate the nif holding process from the user process. Which adds overhead.

Sean