Supervisor child pid

Zsolt Laky zsoci@REDACTED
Thu Mar 5 07:06:26 CET 2020

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for your valuable notes. I see the point and agree. In a system with "real" supervision that is the model to be followed.

In our special case with one_for_one single layer supervision with all childs "temporary", as I see the supervisor does nothing but tracking the Ids, as when a child terminates for any reason it is not restarted, just removed from the child list of the supervisor. I feel it as a kind of registry with the advantage of having the Ids as a term() instead of atom() like the standard registry/2.
Moreover, if the spawned process makes an attempt to add itself to this supervisor, (and routes the reqest if supervisor:add_child returns with {error, {already_registered, {Pid}} ) performance can be pretty good as the supervisor process does not wait the "child" process to spin up with a possible long init function, blocking other childs to start.

In all other cases it seems to be a solution to be avoided, I agree.

Thanks all for your relevant thoughts, I learned a lot! Again.

Cheers
Zsolt