HiPE to be removed in OTP 24?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth@REDACTED
Thu Jun 18 10:35:10 CEST 2020

HiPE is the runtime and compiler support for native code generation of
Erlang modules that some of you might have tried, it is part of the OTP
repository today.

The OTP team is planning to remove HiPE in the OTP 24 release for the
following reasons:

   - we plan to introduce a new way of executing Erlang, the "JIT"
   described by Lukas Larsson at Code Beam V
   - since OTP 22, HiPE is not fully functional (does not handle all beam
   instructions and combinations)
   - there is no use of HiPE among our primary customers. We actually don't
   know where HiPE is used except for speeding up Dialyzer which we have
   another solution for.
   - The current support for HiPE in the code is a blocker or creates extra
   work in our new development.

In order to not remove HiPE in OTP 24, we really soon need maintainers
committing (long term) to keep HiPE in shape and up to date with the rest
of OTP.
/Kenneth Erlang/OTP, Ericsson