The Mystery of the Vanishing Message's Dead Lock

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Thu Jul 23 21:53:08 CEST 2020

On 7/23/20 9:18 AM, Fred Hebert wrote:

> The two things I have as a theory for now is either:
>
>  1. the reply was received but not processed (the bug at
>     https://bugs.erlang.org/browse/ERL-1076 could be at play but the
>     bug report's optimization requires a conditional that doesn't
>     match the format of gen:call() here)
>  2. the reply was "sent" but never actually enqueued in the
>     destination process

Hi Fred,

ERL-1076 was fixed in 21.3.8.11 [1] and 22.1.6 [2] (with 23.x getting
released afterwards).  Are you using an older Erlang/OTP version?

Best Regards,
Michael

[1] https://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2019-November/098785.html
[2] https://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2019-November/098716.html