OTP22 performance on lists

Dániel Szoboszlay dszoboszlay@REDACTED
Thu Jul 2 01:43:35 CEST 2020

Hi Brujo,

I tried to reproduce your results, and for me OTP 22 seems to be
consistently faster for rec and about the same for lrec:

Test case     Min         Max        Median     Average
rec  / OTP 21 124.170us   305.990us  127.120us  128.688us
rec  / OTP 22  62.570us   289.190us   67.610us   68.976us
lrec / OTP 21  16.110us    22.570us   17.790us   17.881us
lrec / OTP 22  15.390us    22.710us   17.170us   17.441us

(These are times for single invocation of the functions for much smaller
inputs than in your example.)

However, there are some OTP 21 versions where due to a configuration bug
the resolution of the native clock was much lower. For example
erlang:convert_time_unit(1000,
native, microsecond). normally gives 1 on my machine (so the native clock
has nanosecond resolution), and on the buggy OTP 21 versions I get 610. On
these OTP 21 versions I see that your rec benchmark seems to run ~6% faster
than with OTP 22, but this is measurement error due to the lower clock
resolution.

Could you please check you have the same clock resolution on both OTP
versions?

Cheers,
Daniel