UDP server load testing

pablo platt pablo.platt@REDACTED
Thu Apr 23 20:38:25 CEST 2020

Hi,

On my Ubuntu server I have 3 types of processes: publisher, viewer and room.
A publisher process receiving 100 UDP packets/second from a remote client
and decrypt them.
The publisher process sends the packets to a room process.
The room process sends the packet to 1000 viewer processes.
Each viewer process encrypt the UDP packet and send it to a remote client.

I managed to send 100K - 200K UDP packets/second on a machine with 8
hyper-threads.

Is there a tool to load test UDP on an Erlang server?

Is there a limit to UDP packets/second an Erlang server can send or is it
linear to the number of cores?
If I'll use a server with 16 hyper-threads, should I expect to be able to
send twice the number of packets/second (400K)?
Is there something I need change in Linux or Erlang to be able to send more
UDP packets?

Can the single room process be a bottleneck when sending 100 packets/second
to 1000 processes? Should I spawn a new process for sending each packet?

Thanks