[erlang-questions] [ANN] samovar 1.0.0

PAILLEAU Eric eric.pailleau@REDACTED
Sun Sep 15 10:38:38 CEST 2019

Hello,

I was currently writing something equivalent than your mail below, for
Max remarks.
I'm not saying that SEMVER is alpha (or 1.0.0-alpha ;>) ...) and omega .
Erlang ecosystem is using semver or something very close.
I didn't found libraries for this or very few documented ones.

As any human action, setting version number on a project is not error
proof ; but any version scheme have this problem.
I think this could be automatized by a tool in order to propose a
version change by comparing current code to former one.
Exported functions, function specifications could help to propose a
major or minor or patch change.

I was using CVS in the old times. I loved the $Id$ tag expanding to CVS
version of the file while commiting.
How many people here forgot once to change the .app.src file before
releasing ?
Semver versioning or a project should not be handled by human but
probably helped by AI.

BTW, semver itself is currently 2.0.0 with a low risk of any major
change that breaks compatibility, but always possible ...

Regards