gen_server locked for some time

Roberto Ostinelli ostinelli@REDACTED
Fri Nov 29 23:46:49 CET 2019

All,
I have a gen_server that in periodic intervals becomes busy, eventually
over 10 seconds, while writing bulk incoming data. This gen_server also
receives smaller individual data updates.

I could offload the bulk writing routine to separate processes but the
smaller individual data updates would then be processed before the bulk
processing is over, hence generating an incorrect scenario where smaller
more recent data gets overwritten by the bulk processing.

I'm trying to see how to solve the fact that all the gen_server calls
during the bulk update would timeout.

Any ideas of best practices?

Thank you,
r.