[erlang-questions] string:lexeme/s2 - an old man's rant

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Mon May 6 23:40:48 CEST 2019

Hi,

This has come up before with various work-arounds suggested. Apologies for this old-man's rant, but every time I run across the impending death of string:tokens/2 to the glory of string:lexemes/2 my blood pressure rises.

I HATE IT. I HATE IT. I HATE IT, not least because the terms lexeme and grapheme are ugly inside-baseball words. Reading the docs, I have to do a Google search to understand what these obscure terms are referring to-- precious time wasted. And with my waning years, I don't have time to waste.

Even my spell-checker doesn't recognize them.

I get the desirability of welcoming unicode into Erlang. But can't we come up with friendlier nomenclature or, at least revise the docs so they don't sound like copy-and-paste out a academic linguistics journal?

Grrr.

LRP

My books:

THE GOSPEL OF ASHES
http://thegospelofashes.com

Strength is not enough. Do they have the courage
and the cunning? Can they survive long enough to
save the lives of millions?

FREEIN' PANCHO
http://freeinpancho.com

A community of misfits help a troubled boy find his way

AYA TAKEO
http://ayatakeo.com

Star-crossed love, war and power in an alternative
universe

Available through Amazon or by request from your
favorite bookstore