[erlang-questions] Guards syntax for multiple values

Richard O'Keefe raoknz@REDACTED
Thu Mar 28 12:36:42 CET 2019

I believe I already said that an OR-pattern is allowed anywhere a pattern
is allowed.
Further, an alternative of an OR-pattern may bind variables if and only if
every alternative of the OR-pattern binds the same variables (ignoring wild
cards).
(Not entirely unlike Erlang 'case'.)
It's the same in F#.  Here's an example from the manual.
let detectZeroOR point = match point with | (0, 0) | (0, _) | (_, 0) ->
printfn "Zero found." | _ -> printfn "Both nonzero."

So that is at least three functional languages that currently support
OR-patterns: Caml, F#, and SML (both SML/NJ and MLton).

However, it seems likely that this fills a much-needed gap.
Complex patterns are probably wrong.