[erlang-questions] Guards syntax for multiple values

Richard O'Keefe raoknz@REDACTED
Wed Mar 27 12:25:52 CET 2019

I knew it!  I knew it!
 "½⅓⅔¼¾⅕⅖⅗⅘⅙⅚⅐⅛⅜⅝⅞⅑⅒”
That list is NOT an exhaustive list of all the "VULGAR FRACTION n dTHS"
characters!
It was not even complete back in Unicode 6.3.
Nor is the version with two integer ranges complete.
If this list is not *intended* to include all such characters,
there had better be a very clear and explicit comment saying that it is
so and why it is so.

Let me put it this way: if the number of cases you want to cover this way
is sufficiently large that writing it is enough of a pain to comment on,
considering all the other things you have to do, you almost surely have the
list wrong.  So I was *expecting* the list to miss something, and it was.

In fact the list is incomplete in two different ways.
First, it does not contain all the "VULGAR FRACTION *" characters.
Second, it does not contain *any* of the "ORIYA FRACTION *",
"TELUGU FRACTION *", "MALAYALAM FRACTION *", "NORTH INDIC FRACTION *",
"RUMI FRACTION *", or "COPTIC FRACTION *" characters (and there were
27 of those in Unicode 6.3), and there is no explanation of why not.
Seriously, by the time the function is adequately documented as to
which characters are included, which excluded, and why, the actual
code is relatively small.