[erlang-questions] Guards syntax for multiple values

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Tue Mar 26 16:15:28 CET 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:51 AM Florent Gallaire <fgallaire@REDACTED>
wrote:

> It's also a good opportunity to make Erlang more modern with a sexy
> syntactic sugar...

this should be done very carefully. For example, adding the 'in' keyword
for 'X in [A,B,C]' syntax will break all existing code out there that uses
the word 'in' for a function, including the `queue:in/2` function call in
the standard library. That could ripple into inconsiderate breakage in the
whole ecosystem.

I don't really care if Erlang is sexier if I have to spend 6-12 months
updating all the libraries everywhere that depend on the queue module
(among other things) just to keep compiling. I'd rather you write slightly
less convenient code on your end instead.