[erlang-questions] Elixir community, please be more responsible; Erlang community, please demand it.

arif@REDACTED arif@REDACTED
Sat Mar 23 17:13:41 CET 2019

Yesterday I attended the Code Beam Lite conference in Bologna, Italy. It
ended with a keynote by an Elixir Core Team member, entitled "Elixir
Architecture 101".

At the end of an otherwise interesting talk, which started with the
presenter saying he hated Erlang (some in the audience found it funny)
and in which he occasionally made fun of Joe and of the perceived
shortcomings of Erlang, I couldn’t help wonder where Elixir was in all
that talk, since the “Elixir” architecture presented, was practically
OTP.

I find this very much in bad taste and not helpful towards a beneficial
sharing and spreading of knowledge. I don’t know if the Code of Conduct
of the Code Beam conferences contemplates this, but I would favour
forbidding it.

If Elixir has something good to offer, and I think it has, let its
community showcase that, advance the common good and knowledge, and not
promote its cause through what, in my eyes, would amount to plagiarism,
viz. letting things pass for Elixir, when they are Erlang/OTP, nor
through ridiculing anyone or anything, least of all the very things or
persons that made it even possible. It not only looks childish to me, I
believe it is also damaging to the many excellent minds in the very
Elixir community.