[erlang-questions] Error report printed to stdout when using remsh to a tls dist cluster

Jesse Stimpson jstimpson@REDACTED
Tue Feb 12 20:21:28 CET 2019

Hello,

I've set up a distribution of 2 Erlang nodes, using "-proto_dist inet_tls",
and when I connect to one of the nodes with remsh, I receive the following
error report:

Erlang/OTP 21 [erts-10.2.3] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10]
[async-threads:1] [hipe]

Eshell V10.2.3  (abort with ^G)
(ssl_test2@REDACTED)1> =ERROR REPORT==== 12-Feb-2019::14:17:25.653872 ===
Error in process <0.68.0> on node 'ssl_test_remsh@REDACTED' with exit
value:
{{badmatch,{error,closed}},
 [{inet_tls_dist,accept_loop,4,[{file,"inet_tls_dist.erl"},{line,253}]}]}

The error appears to be benign; I don't observe any undesirable behavior
from the Erlang nodes so far. It's also inconsistently seen; it takes a
handful of new remsh attempts to produce the error.

I've pinpointed the 21.2 release as the culprit, but there are many commits
between 21.1.4 and 21.2, so it's difficult for me to isolate.

To reproduce: set up 2 nodes with proto_dist inet_tls (call them A and B).
Have B issue a ping to A. Then set up a remsh to B. Close and repeat the
remsh until the error appears. From what I have seen this is the minimal
set of steps to reproduce. When just using 1 node with a remsh, I've not
seen the error.

Thanks,
Jesse Stimpson