Telemetry Examples?

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Wed Dec 4 21:22:17 CET 2019

A year ago I would have told you OpenCensus. But OpenCensus has merged with OpenTracing into the new project OpenTelemetry and the metrics part of OpenTelemetry has been in flux, plus no one has had time to work on the Erlang implementation of it yet.

Because of this I would also suggest https://github.com/deadtrickster/prometheus.erl -- tho opencensus does still work and has some interesting features https://opencensus.io/quickstart/erlang/metrics/

Eventually I'll be suggesting OpenTelemetry, which can then export to many different tools like prometheus, influxdb, datadog, etc.

@hauleth put together an "awesome beam observability" list for the Foundation's Observability Working Group repo https://github.com/erlef/eef-observability-wg/blob/master/README.md#awesome-beam-observability that may give you some ideas as well.

Telemetry (https://github.com/beam-telemetry/telemetry) is an abstraction above something like prometheus.erl. It will likely eventually be easily combined with OpenTelemetry. For now you could create handlers for it that called into prometheus.erl.

Tristan