[erlang-questions] Node mysteriously sends 11 MB while spawning a process on another node

Fri Apr 19 17:23:23 CEST 2019

As Dmitry says, the closure must be sent upon the function spawn. If it is
large, you can expect the 11MB to be sent when the function is spawned.

The best way around it is to avoid sending a large body of information when
you create a function. My guess is you are referencing a large map or list
of data, which in turn gets copied. In some situations, this will also hurt
when you spawn the same function locally, so there is good reason to avoid
it there as well (though there are some caveats if the referenced data is
part of the literal arena in the memory allocation system, and so on).

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 4:47 PM Filip Niksic <fniksic@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to understand why a node sends 11 MB of unknown data to
> another node while spawning a process on that node.
>
> Let me briefly explain my setup. There are two nodes involved: main and a.
> I am running them in two docker containers, which in turn are running in a
> simulated network in which I can inspect and analyze network traffic using
> Wireshark. Once the nodes are started, main spawns a process on node a with
> spawn_link(). In Wireshark I can observe an exchange of ErlDP (distribution
> protocol) packets. The spawn_link causes a colossal REG_SEND message being
> sent from main to a; the message has length 11011057 (11 MB) and it is
> broken into 7605 TCP packets.
>
> Now, it has to be noted that one of the arguments to the spawned process
> is a function closure. Could it be that this closure causes the runtime to
> pack all of its data structures and pass them along with the message? If
> so, how can such a situation be avoided? Is there some general rule of
> thumb that function closures should not be passed as arguments in a
> distributed setting?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Filip

J.