[erlang-questions] Dirty CPU scheduler and pure Erlang code

Thu Sep 20 13:28:05 CEST 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 5:27 PM Michaël COQUARD <
michael.coquard@REDACTED> wrote:

> I was expecting only native functions (BIFs / NIFs) are executed on the
> dirty schedulers.

Any work that is lengthy and not cooperative is better served with a task
on the dirty scheduler. That way, we avoid blocking the scheduler thread
which would mean we would stall processes. Long-running garbage collections
are one such thing, so they can get backgrounded on the dirty scheduler.
Once the GC is done, the process is moved back onto a "normal" scheduler.

--
J.