[erlang-questions] Twitter Account Activity API (webhooks) problems

Marc Worrell marc@REDACTED
Tue Oct 16 10:34:44 CEST 2018

Ah yes… was a bit confused.  Forget about twerl and just poll the other Twitter APIs.

We use oauth for the authentication and calls.

Here are the controllers that do the “OAuth dance”:

	https://github.com/zotonic/zotonic/tree/master/apps/zotonic_mod_twitter/src/controllers

We use this oauth library (copied from rebar.config):

	{oauth, ".*", {git, "https://github.com/tim/erlang-oauth.git", {tag, "v1.6.0"}}}

- Marc

> On 16 Oct 2018, at 10:27, Peter Andersson <pekadan@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> Marc,
>
> Does your twerl fork actually still work?? If I'm not missing something, it's based on the streaming API that Twitter shut down in August. Is Zotonic using a different twerl fork, or a different Twitter client app altogether?
>
>   Peter
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM Marc Worrell <marcw@REDACTED <mailto:marcw@REDACTED>> wrote:
> In Zotonic we are using a twerl fork.
>
> https://github.com/mworrell/twerl.git <https://github.com/mworrell/twerl.git>
>
> This works well, am on the road so can’t readily checked what we changed.
>
> - Marc
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 16 Oct 2018, at 07:25, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED <mailto:ivan@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>> Dear Peter
>>
>> I have an old erlang twitter client (using oauth) that used to work. When I get to the office I’ll see if it still works (twitter change their api regularly) & if so might be able to help.
>>
>> It began as a fork of twerl:
>>
>>     https://github.com/lucaspiller/twerl <https://github.com/lucaspiller/twerl>
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Ivan
>>

>> --
>> festina lente
>>

>> On 16 Oct 2018, at 00:34, Peter Andersson <pekadan@REDACTED <mailto:pekadan@REDACTED>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm working on an Erlang app interfacing Twitter using the Account Activity API and I can't get the app and default user to pass authentication. I started out using the erlang-oauth lib on github (https://github.com/tim/erlang-oauth <https://github.com/tim/erlang-oauth>) to generate a valid oauth 1.0 signature, but then Twitter authentication failed and I did my own oauth signing function. My function produced the exact same result as erlang-oauth though (go figure!), so the signature itself is probably not an issue. Maybe I'm not getting the parameters right, or the actual request.
>>>
>>> Anyone on the list been interfacing Twitter from an Erlang program using webhooks? If so, would you mind sharing some knowledge? I would really appreciate seeing an example of a working webhook URL registration (POST to the account_activity endpoint in user context).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peter