[erlang-questions] use cases for maxT?

Sun Mar 11 10:51:02 CET 2018

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 7:57 PM Xavier Noria <fxn@REDACTED> wrote:

> The key `maxT` in application resource files configures a maximum time
> the application is allowed to run (defaults to `infinity`).
>
> Have you ever used it? Which use cases does it have?

Never used it.

I think a good use is for a temporary application, in which you know that
it will run and then terminate after a while by its own. This allows you to
put in a dead-man's switch in addition so if it doesn't, then the
application controller will eventually terminate it.

Things I'd consider:

* Investigative applications.
* Applications which should have an upper limit but where the world around
the application might change so the limit eventually gets broken.
* As an extra protection measure on one-off applications

Usually, these parameters have some history inside Ericsson (we needed this
for a project), but I don't know if it is in use in general.