[erlang-questions] Query on odbc driver

JC jordanchaitin@REDACTED
Thu Jun 14 05:28:31 CEST 2018

I use Erlang with Postgres regularly. In addition to the driver, one
generally also needs a pooling tool on both the Postgres side, as well
as the Erlang side.

Pgapp is a commonly used front end with pool support, (although, IMO, a
bit heavy) https://github.com/epgsql/pgapp

Epgsql had many forks in the past, but this one seems to be the most
well maintained and commonly used library now
https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql

Episcina https://github.com/erlware/episcina is another front end with
pooling support, although it doesn't seem to work anymore, and the
project seems unmaintained at this point.

Semiocast's pgsql https://github.com/semiocast/pgsql is a good tool too.

PGO https://github.com/SpaceTime-IoT/pgo is a new but neat little tool
combining pooling and a driver in one, and works quite well for standard
usage (there might be some unhandled edge cases). I believe pgo's author
intends to replace the backend with the more popular Epgsql to avoid
duplication of work on the protocol side.

I have used Epgsql + pgapp, as well as Pgsql + Episcina in the past. At
the present time I need to do mostly only parametrized queries and I use
pgo.

For simple needs, I would recommend PGO. For more complex use cases, go
for Epgsql + Pgapp.

Cheers