[erlang-questions] Binary string literal syntax

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Mon Jun 11 10:22:43 CEST 2018

Seems like a good time for a summary. Yell if I have misunderstood or mis-represented

 - There is little appetite for a new ‘bandaid' syntax mapping to <<“utf8-string”/utf8>>
 - Erlang is already on a path towards much improved string handling (although at the cost of making the simple cases more complex?)
 - No-one is arguing we have the ideal solution for strings today
 - There is appetite for a new string type. This should have a distinct dynamic type - text() ?
 - This type ought to be represented internally in a carefully chosen canonical utf-8 format
 - It needs clean and efficient mechanisms for input and output to file / network / nif with utf-8 default but option for many other representations.
 - Backtick quotes have a few votes as new syntax for such a representation. Go-lang has chosen backtick for their raw strings with some interesting semantics.
 - A new text() type would allow io to print these strings as `utf8 string` rather than falling back to binary representation.

Some issues:

 - Adding a new type raises all the usual questions about equality, ordering, conversion (implicit and via a many to many matrix of conversion functions), guards etc. It’s a much larger change than a simple syntax representation mapping to  <<"some string"/utf8>>
 - How do we concatenate them? `Hello` <> `World`?
 - How do we construct them? io_lib:format(`~p`, [atom]). `hello #{Name}` ?
 - how do we incorporate them in other string types? io:format(“~s”, [`text`]). <<“txt”, `utf8 text`, 0>>
 - How do we extract them from binary data? <<T:4/text, Rest/binary>>. What is the meaning of the length parameter? The string module already has a clear definition.
 - What does matching a literal out of binary data mean? <<`Hêllö`, Rest/text>> == <<“Hêllö World”/utf8>>
 - Prefix matching in normal code? `Hello` <> World = `Hello world`
 - Is there already a suitable internal canonical utf-8 format? OTP team?
 - Lots of other details in the mails from everyone
 - Everything else

Sigils are orthogonal to this discussion (and one of the secondary benefits is pretty nicely realised by using backtick - the more common double quotes would not need to be escaped - yes, JSON).

So,the big question: Did this already reach a level of complexity the language will sink under?

Is it worth spending time fleshing any of this out to an EEP level of detail?

Do we come back in another year?

Would an EEP help the existing work of the OTP team in this area or is there already a clear plan and this would be a distraction?

Sean

Aside:
We don’t have the BDFL question. Instead Erlang/OTP has a process

One old boss I respected explained a reason big companies like to buy from big companies even at many times the price - his reason was that small companies rely on people and big companies on process. The process will deliver (eventually) even if the people change three times in the middle!