[erlang-questions] Deprecation warnings: OTP20 and OTP21 compatible code

Bryan Hunt bryan.hunt@REDACTED
Wed Jun 6 16:30:29 CEST 2018

Jose, your pragmatic approach is *very* much appreciated.

In a top level project, having explicitly chosen to specify the `warning_as_errors` option,
a failed build as a result of warnings is sensible.

In a dependency, enforcing a top level build failure due to it’s own deprecated code,
is at best, unhelpful.

While upgrading a project to compile/run on a modern Erlang - it is nearly impossible to avoid
the case where one achieves a successful compilation, yet experience a slew of deprecation warnings.

I fork all my dependencies in a non-backward-compatibile way to work around this limitation,
but this approach is less than desirable from the perspective of cohesion/fragmentation/anything really.

Bryan