[erlang-questions] Sender punishment removed

Guilherme Andrade g@REDACTED
Tue Jan 23 12:35:01 CET 2018

On 23 January 2018 at 10:30, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:

> 1) client comes to HTTP
> 2) http handler makes gen_server:call to singleton server
> 3) waits for 5 or 60 seconds and then exits, but message is already in
> process queue
> 4) server fetches this useless message from mailbox and starts making
> useless expensive operations
> 5) meanwhile client makes another duplicate request and again fills
> singleton mailbox with the same request

I've recently started to explore sbroker[1] as an alternative (in some
cases) and I've been getting very interesting results.

Then again it's also (IIRC) backed by single processes that might become a
bottleneck themselves, but at least those processes aren't doing anything
else. Also, because it's this big toolkit with a lot of bells and whistles,
it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot if you're not already acquainted
with some of the abstractions, and so there might be somewhat of a learning
curve.

[1]: https://github.com/fishcakez/sbroker

--
Guilherme