[erlang-questions] binary_part/3

Alex Alvarez alex@REDACTED
Sun Jan 7 19:34:38 CET 2018

Okay, maybe I'm totally confused here, but is it a pointer to the
original binary or a new binary?  Looking at the source code it seems
to build/make a new binary at the end of erts_gc_binary_part().  And
from the shell...

1> A = .

2> B = erlang:binary_part(A, 0, 8).

3> f(A).
ok
4> B.
A is gone and we still have B.  Does Erlang actually returns