[erlang-questions] AMD Ryzen anyone?

Alex Alvarez alex@REDACTED
Fri Jan 5 18:11:27 CET 2018

The only thing I'd add for reference is that in high performance
computing, the default is to disable virtual threads (e.g.,
hyper-threads) as they actually slow down things otherwise.  Under
normal execution, having more CPU threads available is a good thing,
but not if the application needs a lot more out of the CPU.  The
biggest time issue is actually not the CPU, but memory access.  In
anything that really pushes the system, like when you perform parallel
calculations (e.g., openmp), you simply don't want virtual threads
anywhere.  As far as I know, all super computer disable virtual
threads by default.  Each case could vary, but this is something to
test for.  And in the case Erlang, I'd try with/out to see what
results you get. If possible, I'd disable the virtual threads and try
CouchDB again.

Cheers,
Alex

On 1/4/2018 at 12:58 PM, "Eric des Courtis"  wrote:+1 for Threadripper
or Ryzen Pro