[erlang-questions] PropER generator for list of records with a sequence number

Paul Peregud paulperegud@REDACTED
Mon Dec 10 11:27:35 CET 2018

Possible solution - move id assignment out of the generator into a thin
wrapper around SUT.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 7:59 AM Torben Hoffmann <torben.lehoff@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Hi Frans,
>
> This will most likely run you into some problems with shrinking.
> You would have to generate the next sequence number from the previous one,
> but then no shrinking can be done since that would leave a gap in the
> sequence numbers.
> But maybe there is another way to do this that I can't think of right now.
>
> Cheers,
> Torben
>
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 08:30, Frans Schneider <fchschneider@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> In PropER, I am looking for a way to generate records with one field
>> being a sequence number which is incremented for each instance.
>>
>> -record(cache_change, {sequence_number :: sequence_number(),
>>                        data_value :: term()).
>>
>> Every cache entry is supposed to have a new sequence number which is
>> normally generated by the application, but I now want PropER to generate
>> the sequence numbers to test drive the cache in isolation.
>>
>> How does one create a custom generator for this?
>>
>> Another, related question, is how to start an unregistered process (the
>> cache) in PropER and use its pid? Normally, the caches are started from
>> a simple-one-for-one supervisor. The cache should be restarted for every
>> test run. PropER documentation and examples always show registered
>> processes and not unregistered processes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Frans
>>

> --
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann