[erlang-questions] Must and May convention

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Sep 29 01:16:43 CEST 2017

On 2017年09月28日 木曜日 20:21:01 Joe Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 5:59 PM, zxq9 <zxq9@REDACTED> wrote:
> > When it is time to introduce some of these slick features it will be time
> > for an Erlang 2 (well, called something else hopefully). I do not believe
> > that language is Elixir, though. It has shown us a lot, but its beginning
> > to remind me of why Ruby eventually fell apart.
>
> I'm not so sure - PHP is very popular - Visual Basic was so good
> that Microsoft had to ruin it - Hypercard was so good that it is no longer
> available. Programming in Borland turbo graphics was so fast and easy
> that massive IDEs had to be invented.
>
> Simple languages that encourage clear and correct code and do
> no need armies of consultants to maintain into the future
> are not very popular.
>
> It's the "Nobody got sacked for using Microsoft" phenomena - there is
> job security in using mainstream languages, and job security in writing and
> fixing buggy code.

OH NOES!!!

I'm so utterly uncomfortable with this whole last bit here. But I found
myself involuntarily laughing as I read this. That is indeed the shape
of things most of the time.

Hopefully we can find a way to break out of the tarpit.

Someday.

-Craig