[erlang-questions] relups and restart_application

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Thu Sep 28 20:35:51 CEST 2017

Hi,

It turns out that in some circumstances, such as if you have, say,
{foo, load} in your relx.config file, that an appup file specifying
{restart_application, foo} will not actually restart the application,
even if it was running.

I submitted a PR for the docs to make that a bit more evident, but
beyond that, does this seem right?  My naive inclination is that
things should be left as much as possible as they were found.  The PR
introducing this was doing the right thing in ensuring that the
application was not reloaded with a different restart_type(), but
that's different than not restarting it at all.

https://github.com/erlang/otp/commit/3cdd158193146c95c1480d6d11ff4cc277649c24

https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/1582

Thanks
--