[erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

Technion technion@REDACTED
Wed Sep 27 09:00:58 CEST 2017

Hi,

A thing to think about is third party non-Erlang.

For example, an awful lot of Erlang projects utilise a C based JSON parser. I don't think anyone does that because they prefer C - it happens because the existing pure Erlang JSON parsers work well and are safer - but hit performance issues at a certain scale.

I'm sure there are similar examples such as database drivers you could refer to. You could remove a lot of C from the average Erlang project by tackling the things that aren't parts of the usual distribution, whether that's "write it in Rust" or, more controversially, "make Erlang fast enough that pure Erlang JSON is acceptable".

________________________________
From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED <erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED> on behalf of Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED>
Sent: Saturday, 23 September 2017 2:40 AM
To: Peer Stritzinger
Cc: erlang-questions Questions
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

This is a nice discussion and it is hard to track all messages here.

I just want to insert that rust is in a beginning of its way.  There are lots of places that can degrade performance very seriously and are far for C level.  So keep it calm =)

However it is possible to make parts of system in it and it is good.