[erlang-questions] question re. message delivery

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Sep 26 12:43:01 CEST 2017

What I said was "message passing is assumed to be reliable"

The key word here is *assumed* my assumption is that if I open a TCP socket
and send it five messages numbered 1 to 5 then If I successfully read
message
5 and have seen no error indicators then I can *assume* that messages 1 to
4 also arrived in order.

Actually I have no idea if this is true - but it does seem to be a
reasonable
assumption.

Messages 1 to 4 might have arrived got put in a buffer prior to my reading
them and accidentally reordered due to a software bug. An alpha particle
might have hit the data in message 3 and changed it -- who knows?

Having assumed that message passing is reliable I build code based on
this assumption.

I'm not, of course, saying that the assumption is true, just that I trust
the
implementers of the system have done a good job to try and make it true.
Certainly any repeatable counter examples should have been investigated
to see if there were any errors in the system.

All this builds on layers of trust. I trust that erlang message passing is
ordered and reliable in the absence of errors.

The Erlang implementers trust that TCP is reliable.

The TCP implementors trust that the OS is reliable.

The OS implementors trust that the processor is reliable.

The processor implementors trust that the VLSI compilers are correct.

Software runs on physical machines - so really the laws of physics apply not
maths. Physics takes into account space and time, and the concept of
simultaneity does not exist, no so in maths.

It seems to me that software is built upon chains of trust, not upon
mathematical chains of proof.

I've just been saying "what we want to achieve" and not "how we can achieve
it".

The statements that people make about the system should be in terms
of belief rather than proof.

 I'd say "I believe we have reliable message passing"
It would be plain daft to say "we have reliable message passing" or
"we can prove it be correct" since there is no way of validating this.

Call me old fashioned but I think that claims that, for example,
"we have unlimited storage" and so on are just nuts ...

Just say it how it is - we believe this to be the case, and here is our
evidence ...

Cheers

/Joe

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@REDACTED