[erlang-questions] Nested Case Statements v.s. multiple functions

dploop@REDACTED dploop@REDACTED
Tue Sep 26 04:40:28 CEST 2017

This problem also bothered me for a long time, so I write a parse transform to deal with it. To be specific, say we want to write a function which takes two integers and returns  the product and quotient of them.

muldiv(First, Second) ->
    case is_integer(First) of
        true ->
            case is_integer(Second) of
                true ->
                    Product = First * Second,
                    case Second =/= 0 of
                        true ->
                            Quotient = First div Second,
                            {ok, {Product, Quotient}};
                        false ->
                            {error, "Second must not be zero!"}
                    end;
                false ->
                    {error, "Second must be an integer!"}
            end;
        false ->
            {error, "First must be an integer!"}
    end.

Ugly, at least I think this "rocket" is not beautiful. Even worse, if requirement changed, you should modify this code on a large scale. To avoid this problem, you can just rewrite your code like this
muldiv(First, Second) ->
    do@([esugar_do_transform_error ||
        case is_integer(First) of
        true -> return(next);
        false -> fail("First must be an integer!")
        end,
        case is_integer(Second) of
        true -> return(next);
        false -> fail("Second must be an integer!")
        end,
        Product = First * Second,
        case Second =/= 0 of
        true -> return(next);
        false -> fail("Second must not be zero!")
        end,
        Quotient = First div Second,
        return({Product, Quotient})
    ]).

This idea came from the Haskell's do grammer, and to use this grammer, you just need to write a error monad.

This parse transform code is one module of my esugar(An Erlang Syntactic Sugar Library) library, and the address is (https://github.com/dploop/esugar)

I'm glad to discuss with you about how to use it or improve it(because I just write this toy for fun at the begining).

dploop@REDACTED