[erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

Felix Gallo felixgallo@REDACTED
Thu Sep 21 20:26:32 CEST 2017

I think Rust takes several steps in wrong directions, but the answer to (2)
is obvious -- even though we've had 40 years to learn how to 'better code
our drivers', the world of software is a shaky, broken, rickety pile of
insecure nonsense and it's only getting worse over time.  There is
apparently no amount of learning we can do and we need the machines to help
us.

Erlang solves the memory safety problem by enforcing immutability, which
has incredibly low mechanical sympathy and ends up being unperformant for a
large and useful set of problems.  Rust solves it by giving the developer a
bewilderingly bedazzled straitjacket and telling them to sort it out if
they want performance.  Pony's straitjacket has better affordances in my
opinion but is still deeply confusing to developers.  The fact that we are
all trying is no accident.

F.

F.