[erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

Zachary Kessin zkessin@REDACTED
Wed Sep 20 09:55:32 CEST 2017

I would love to see an Elm like language on the beam too, but I don't
expect to see a first-class language of that type soon.

Zach
ᐧ

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Daniel Goertzen <daniel.goertzen@REDACTED>
wrote:

> How does Alpaca compare to F#/Ocaml?  After tasting some Rust and Elm,
> working in Erlang makes me a bit nervous too.  My dream is to see a BEAM
> ML-like achieve Elixir stature.
>

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM Karl Nilsson <kjnilsson@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 at 12:41 Jesper Louis Andersen <
>> jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:

>>> I have not used it enough to have an opinion (yet). Were I to
>>> communicate a lot with the .NET platform, I'd probably pick it because it
>>> has a null value and this is a necessity when talking to C# I'm told.
>>>
>>> Given that it runs under a pretty powerful JIT, it could perform really
>>> well for a lot of tasks I think.
>>>

>> F# doesn't typically have any speed advantages of any other .NET
>> languages and in every comparison I've seen to OCaml it has performed
>> worse. If anything the allocation costs induced by a functional first
>> programming style means it is typically a bit slower than the equivalent C#
>> code (also there is no goto).
>>
>> As a language F# is the nicest I've ever used substantially. I find it
>> easy (and fun) to write reasonably correct code in. Also I hardly ever fear
>> refactoring (compared to erlang where I break out in cold sweats even for
>> code bases that pass dialyzer).
>>
>> I even like it so much I've started hacking on an fsharp to core erlang
>> compiler. (https://github.com/kjnilsson/fez).
>>

>>> My "dream" would be an industry-supported parallel MLton :P

Zach Kessin
Teaching Web Developers to test code to find more bugs in less time
Skype: zachkessin
+972 54 234 3956 / +44 203 734 9790 / +1 617 778 7213